Below are descriptions of the SPA committees. We are currently seeking volunteers for our Fundraising, Hospitality and Communications committees.
The EC consists of the President, Vice President East, Vice President West, Treasurer, and Secretary. The EC shall be the liaison to the Sturgis School Administration, set the agenda for SPA Meetings, and coordinate the direction of SPA. The EC will oversee all committees to ensure that they are operating in line with SPA’s Mission. The EC will also make necessary decisions for the organization, when required, outside of regular SPA meetings. EC decisions in these cases will be reported at the next appropriate SPA meeting and minutes of EC meetings will be available to SPA members. The EC will also serve as the Nominating Committee.
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for overseeing the organization’s overall fundraising. These areas include:
- Establish a fundraising plan that incorporates a series of appropriate vehicles.
- To coordinate and work with volunteers in their efforts to raise money
- To monitor fundraising efforts to make sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately, and that fundraising efforts are cost-effective.
- Provide a recap of all events that will include appropriate contacts, costs, budgets, donations, donors info, etc. so that a legacy of each event can accurately maintained.
The FC shall be chaired by the Treasurer of SPA. The committee will consist of, but not limited to, the SPA President, a Vice President or Clerk, and the chair of the Fundraising Committee. Additional FC members, if deemed necessary, will be nominated by the Treasurer and approved by the EC. The FC tasks are:
- To prepare and present a budget for SPA, based on the funds raised in the previous year, that is consistent with SPA’s plans, goals, and mission.
- To report to the organization any financial concerns, irregularities, or opportunities.
- To present regular financial reports and to ensure that reports are accurate and timely
- To advise the organization on best financial practices and policies.
- To review and make recommendations on requests for funds.
The Nominating Committee is responsible for presenting a slate of officers annually to serve for the upcoming year. A slate should be presented and elected no later than May 31 of each year unless the Executive Committee deems a later date is necessary and due notice is given. New officers’ terms will start immediately upon being elected by a quorum at a regular SPA meeting. A regular SPA meeting consists of an open meeting where due notification is given through Sturgis email at least 1 week in advance and it clearly states that election of officers will take place.
The HC is responsible for visibly and socially representing SPA at designated events. This committee shall be led by a Chair from East and a Chair from West. The committee will coordinate volunteers and supply necessary items required at the specific events. The committee will present a report at regular SPA meetings with updates on upcoming events and recaps of previous events.
The CC is responsible for managing the effective communication of all SPA activities. These responsibilities include:
- The development, maintenance, and regular updating of the SPA website.
- The development, maintenance, and regular updating of SPA contact lists.
- Develop strategies and execution of communication to parents regarding SPA events, including regular SPA meetings.
- Work with other committees to inform SPA members of updates and accomplishments.
- Adhere to the principals of the SPA mission.
- Clear all outside activities with the Sturgis School Administration via the EC.
- Maintain and regularly update SPA records.
- Maintain and regularly update social media accounts
Community Outreach Committee
The COC is responsible for identifying needs within the greater Sturgis Community and presenting ideas for ways in which SPA can address those needs.